The Futures Triangle play helps deconstruct your future by contextualising past, present and future trends that affect your organisation.
By identifying and understanding the types of changes being faced, the action steps to your preferred future become clearer. This play maps the current perspectives of the future of the topic under investigation through three dimensions:
- The pull of the future – the visual images and ideas about the future, the emerging trends and technologies
- The push of the present – the trends that are creating change in the present, what is pushing you towards different futures
- The weight of the past – the patterns and choices we made in our past
It then explores the tensions between each of these elements by exploring:
- The barriers from the past, preventing change in the present
- The responsibilities of the past that are continued into the future
- The change required to reach for the future from the present
This play is based on the Futures Triangle framework developed by Sohail Inayatullah. It is used to understand and explore plausible futures.