Engineering Reimagined Podcast
The Engineering Reimagined podcast series explores how, like engineers, everyday people are reimagining the future and their leadership roles in it.
Passivhaus for warmer climates – can it work?
In this episode of Engineering Reimagined, Aurecon’s Pablo Sepulveda speaks with Architect and founder of the Passive House Network, Bronwyn Barry, about how and why she is a champion of Passivhaus, the impact it’s having on global design and the challenges it faces in becoming an industry standard around the world.
About Engineering Reimagined
Throughout history, engineers have been leaders in inventing and creating some of society’s most ground-breaking developments. Just think of the Egyptian pyramids, Roman viaducts, the aeroplane, skyscrapers – the list is endless!
But what role do engineers play today, and what does the future hold?
Welcome to Engineering Reimagined. In this podcast series we will explore how, like engineers, people from all walks of life are reimagining the future and their leadership roles in it.
Technology is disrupting our world at a faster rate than any other change in our history. To meaningfully contribute, and to continue to lead society in some of its greatest advancements, engineering needs to be reimagined. Humanity still depends on engineering to help solve the wicked problems our world faces. Not only can engineers make things ‘work’; they can use smart thinking, combined with digital technologies, and a focus on human-centred outcomes to co-create a future in which communities and individuals can thrive.
Each episode will feature an interviewer speaking to a different guest. What can we learn from their compelling and inspiring stories to help us reimagine engineering, to lead the world to a better future?
Subscribe to our podcast to receive updates or follow us on your favourite app:
Contact us if you would like to get involved.
- 49: Dear World: a child’s perspective on climate change
Suneiah Cullen & Ashley Cullen-Cross | 01 February 2023 | 07:57
- 50: Driving towards better mobility through autonomous transport
Terry Lee-Williams, Megan Sharkey & Cathal Masterson | 01 March 2023 | 34:43
- 51: Transforming telecommunications infrastructure with Amplitel
Simon McFadden & Jon Lipton | 05 April 2023 | 18:25
- 52: Passivhaus for warmer climates – can it work?
Pablo Sepulveda & Bronwyn Barry | 03 May 2023 | 27:16
- 38: Antifragility: changing your mindset for a better life
Liam Hayes & Dr. Srini Pillay | 23 February 2022 | 22:42
- 39: Education in the new normal
William Cox & Professor Deborah Terry | 23 March 2022 | 21:43
- 40: Creating sustainable communities by future-proofing infrastructure
Tracey Ryan & John Mauro | 19 April 2022 | 22:38
- 41: Designing a circular future through collaboration
John Poon & Sarah Thomson | 18 May 2022 | 23:13
- 42: Flying into the future by reimagining airports
Erik Kriel & Ryan Both | 15 June 2022 | 26:12
- 43: Women’s sport– inspiring positive change in business and life
Jane Waldburger & Sarah Kelly | 13 July 2022 | 29:25
- 44: Is ‘nature positive’ the new ‘net zero’?
Jessica Holz & Dr. Adrian Ward | 10 August 2022 | 25:45
- 45: Sustainable infrastructure with World Wildlife Fund
Nicolas Price & Kate Newman | 07 September 2022 | 31:59
- 46: Universal design: two Paralympians championing accessibility for all
James Millar & Nick Morris | 05 October 2022 | 26:00
- 47: The fastest growing workplace demographic: menopausal women
Penny Rush & Niki Bezzant | 16 November 2022 | 25:05
- 48: Season 4 recap: becoming antifragile, measuring nature and planning the future airport
Liam Hayes, Dr. Srini Pillay, Jessica Holz, Adrian Ward, Erik Kriel & Ryan Both | 30 November 2022 | 23:40
- 26: Innovation unpacked: What does it take to build Tesla and survive Silicon Valley?
Andrew Maher & Ian Wright | 27 January 2021 | 21:13
- 27: How sleep makes us more creative, healthier and better human beings
Evelyn Storey & Bruno van Swinderen | 24 February 2021 | 26:58
- 28: Can design thinking democratise innovation?
Maureen Thurston & Jeanne Liedtka | 24 March 2021 | 33:09
- 29: The roaring 2020s – the rise of 20-minute neighbourhoods
Noriko Wynn & Lucinda Hartley | 21 April 2021 | 28:37
- 30: Taking purpose off the lobby wall and rehumanising leadership
Liam Hayes, Sam Fernando & Michael Chavez | 19 May 2021 | 35:14
- 31: Sustainability strategy with Atlassian
Paul Gleeson & Jessica Hyman | 17 June 2021 | 28:37
- 32: Climate change in Asia with South Pole
Stephanie Groen & Renat Heuberger | 14 July 2021 | 35:42
- 33: Getting into the the energy transition arena with AGL
Ben McGarry & John Chambers | 11 August 2021 | 31:20
- 34: Green Data Centres with SpaceDC
Colin Eddison, Carolyn Harrington & Nick Stavroulakis | 21 September 2021 | 38:22
- 35: Microsoft and the next frontier in space
Louise Adams & Lynn McDonald | 06 October 2021 | 24:57
- 36: Humanising cyber security with RMIT
Eric Louw & Matthew Warren | 03 November 2021 | 24:57
- 37: Season 3 recap: The science of sleep, our energy transition and a booming space industry
Evelyn Storey, Bruno van Swinderen, Ben McGarry, John Chambers, Louise Adams & Lynn McDonald | 02 December 2021 | 32:15
- 13: Engineers bring different energy to the boardroom
Paul Gleeson & Leeanne Bond | 29 January 2020 | 22:01
- 14: BIM for infrastructure: why it's better for everyone
John Hilton & Tim Mumford | 26 February 2020 | 18:57
- 15: Some excellent reasons for women to become engineers
Kylie Cochrane & Felicity Furey | 25 March 2020 | 22:28
- 16: Engineering during and beyond COVID-19 – an ANZ perspective
Maria Rampa, Louise Adams & Camilla Gibbons | 22 April 2020 | 25:20
- 17: Engineering during and beyond COVID-19 – lessons from Asia and Middle East
Maria Rampa, Stephane Asselin & Mark Mauerberger | 29 April 2020 | 23:31
- 18: Caring for your mental health in a pandemic
Scott Powell & Georgie Harman | 20 May 2020 | 34:25
- 19: How can renewable energy boost economies?
Harriet Floyd, Lillian Patterson & Lachlan McLeod | 17 June 2020 | 29:09
- 20: Will engineers be rockstars of the future?
Louise Adams & Trish White | 15 July 2020 | 19:37
- 21: How do you run a train network during a pandemic?
Becky Wood & Tilly Loughborough | 12 August 2020 | 23:43
- 22: Do we take good design for granted?
John McGuire & Dr Brandon Gien | 11 September 2020 | 22:40
- 23: WorldPride 2023 – how to be more LGBTI inclusive
Andrew Muller & Kate Wickett | 07 October 2020 | 19:10
- 24: CSIRO: Solving wicked problems by making science real
William Cox & Dr Larry Marshall | 05 November 2020 | 29:04
- 25: Future skills, digital engineering and a green recovery
John Hilton, Kylie Cochrane, Harriet Floyd, Louise Adams, Tim Mumford, Felicity Furey, Lillian Patterson & Trish White | 02 December 2020 | 19:45
- 01: Leadership lessons from the kitchen table to the board room
Giam Swiegers & Guillaume Brahimi | 30 January 2019 | 25:15
- 02: Waste not, want not: how innovation is saving Mother Nature
Kourosh Kayvani & Veena Sahajwalla | 30 January 2019 | 25:32
- 03: Engineers and earthquakes: the first 24hrs and beyond
Carl Devereux & John O'Hagan | 27 February 2019 | 24:43
- 04: Innovation versus risk – how do visual contracts stack up?
John McGuire & Professor Camilla Andersen | 27 March 2019 | 24:35
- 05: Moving to Mars: My childhood dream to live on the red planet
Dr Gabi Wojtowitz & Dr Adriana Marais | 24 April 2019 | 22:47
- 06: Breaking the mould: how can design achieve equality for all?
Suds Hettiarachchi, Tasneem Chopra & Graeme Innes | 29 May 2019 | 26:37
- 07: How can art and engineering create meaning in our lives?
Veronica Nolan & Matt Tobin | 19 June 2019 | 23:23
- 08: Redesigning STEM education for diversity and inclusivity
Rebecca Ilunga & Prof. Mamokgethi Phakeng | 17 July 2019 | 22:57
- 09: Do our universities need to change?
Susie Pearn & Ian Harper | 14 August 2019 | 24:38
- 10: The Good, the Bad and the AI of It All
Danielle Bond & Anne Gregory | 11 September 2019 | 25:28
- 11: Season One Recap – Reimagining the future through passion, collaboration and innovation
Kourosh Kayvani, John McGuire, Gabi Wojtowitz, Veena Sahajwalla, Camilla Andersen & Adriana Marais | 09 October 2019 | 20:31
- 12: Season One Bonus Episode – Conversations from the World Engineers Convention
Various speakers from the WEC 2019 in Melbourne | 04 December 2019 | 17:32